Rating:
No votes cast

CNW - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville; Old)

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over Des Moines River on former line of C&NW RR
Location
Mahaska County, Iowa
Status
Demolished with piers remaining
History
Removed before/during 1930s
Railroad
- Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.18221, -92.65800   (decimal degrees)
41°10'56" N, 92°39'29" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/528683/4559040 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Eddyville
Inventory number
BH 56006 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Chicago & North Western Railway (1,399)
Des Moines River (228)
Iowa (6,466)
Lost (24,586)
Mahaska County, Iowa (42)
Owned by railroad (12,359)
Railroad (15,353)

Update Log 

  • April 22, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Des Moines River"
  • April 22, 2013: Updated by Don Morrison: Added category "Chicago & North Western Railway"
  • April 21, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added category "railroad"
  • April 13, 2013: Added by Dylan VanAntwerp

Sources 

Comments 

CNW - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville; Old)
Posted July 9, 2020, by Douglas W. Jones (jones [at] cs [dot] uiowa [dot] edu)

See this article for history of the line:

-- https://www.cnwhs.org/articles/1408841578.pdf

This says that the abandonment of the line from What Cheer to Consol (the end of the line beyond Buxton, at the last mine operated by the Consolidation Coal Company) was authorized by the ICC in 1935, although traffic stopped in 1934 when storms washed out bridges on Coal Creek (between the Des Moines River and Buxton).

The article also dates the opening of the line to Buxton to 1901. The bridge has to have been in place for this, and was probably built no earlier than 1900.

CNW - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville; Old)
Posted July 9, 2020, by Douglas W. Jones (jones [at] cs [dot] uiowa [dot] edu)

This bridge was built by the C&NW around 1900 in order to extend its line to the coal fields west of the river. In 1884, the C&NW built a 64-mile branch from Belle Plaine to Muchakinock, to reach the coal mines operated by its subsidiary, the Consolodation Coal Company (of Iowa). By 1900, the mines around Muchakinok were exhausted, and Consolidated had acquired new coal lands southwest of the Des Moines River. The C&NW built this bridge as part of its effort to reach those new mines, centered on the new coal camp of Buxton, around 1900. Buxton, at its peak, was the largest company town in the United States and home of the largest United Mine Workers local in the country. The line was abandoned after the last of Consolidation's coal mines closed in 1927.