Rating:
No votes cast

Rose-Dunmire Bridge

Photo 

Public Domain: Published Prior to 1923

Enlarge

BH Photo #371829

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Lost Town lattice truss bridge over North River on Road
Location
Madison County, Iowa
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1871; Replaced 1912
Builder
- E. H. Conger
Design
Town lattice through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.40531, -94.22311   (decimal degrees)
41°24'19" N, 94°13'23" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/397766/4584473 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Earlham West
Inventory numbers
WGCB IA/15-61-16x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 74673 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (7,626)
Built 1871 (118)
Built during 1870s (1,122)
Covered (1,666)
E. H. Conger (1)
Iowa (6,528)
Lattice through truss (561)
Lattice truss (593)
Lost (24,965)
Lost 1912 (38)
Lost during 1910s (504)
Madison County, Iowa (66)
One-lane traffic (7,613)
Replaced by new bridge (16,761)
Through truss (15,175)
Town lattice truss (265)
Truss (32,955)
Wooden deck (6,073)

Update Log 

  • February 13, 2021: Updated by Luke: Added builder per forum comment

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Luke

Comments 

Rose-Dunmire Bridge
Posted February 13, 2021, by Teddi Yaeger (tourism [at] madisoncounty [dot] com)

The Rose-Dunmire Covered Bridge was completed in August 1871 over the North River in Jackson Township along Creamery Road, about eight miles south of Dexter, adjacent to property owned by John and George Rose. According to the August 24, 1871 issue of the Winterset Madisionian, “The new bridge across North River, in the Rose neighborhood, has just been completed. It is a very superior bridge forty-five feet long with approaches seven feet on one end, and thirty feet on the other. It is covered and painted, and cost nine hundred dollars.” Payment was given to E. H. Conger to build it.

In 1912, a new iron pony truss bridge was built, bypassing the old bridge. (The photograph above shows the crew on the new bridge during construction with the old bridge in the background. It’s believed that this photograph was taken in 1910 or 1911.)