DM&E - Iowa River Bridge (Tyson Spur)
Part of the bridge's north approach trestle collapsed on Tuesday, June 24th, at 11:29PM, as an Iowa, Chicago and Eastern locomotive was in the process of pushing four tanker cars off the bridge and back towards the Tyson Foods meat packing plant north of the bridge. The tank cars had been filled with water and placed on the bridge in hopes of securing it against flood damage, due to extreme high water from the 2008 floods.
As the flood waters had crested and the danger was subsiding, an IC&E locomotive was attempting to move the tank cars back off the bridge when part of the north approach trestle gave way. Two of the tank cars and the locomotive ended up falling into the backwaters underneath the trestle, north of the actual river channel. The locomotive's engineer was trapped in the locomotive and had to be extricated by a water rescue team.
The collapse of the northern trestle would mark the end of the bridge's active service life and ultimately seal its fate. The damaged remnants of the collapsed section of the trestle were removed, but the trestle was never rebuilt. The spur to Tyson foods was soon torn out, leaving the bridge sitting abandoned with its rails removed. Although it was hoped that the bridge could become a part of the Hoover Trail, its demise came in 2014, when it was completely demolished and removed.
- Lost Parker through truss over Iowa River on former Iowa Beef Packers (Tyson Foods) spur line
- Columbus Junction, Louisa County, Iowa
- Bridge removed
- Built 1894, Approach Collapsed 2008, removed completely 2014
- - Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway (BCRN)
- Canadian Pacific Railway (CP)
- Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (MILW; CMStP&P; CMStP)
- Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern Railroad (DME)
- I&M Rail Link (IMRL)
- Iowa, Chicago & Eastern Railroad (ICE)
- Soo Line Railroad (SOO)
- 16 Panel Open Deck Pile Trestle (South Approach)
22 Panel Open Deck Pile Trestle (North Approach, collapsed 2008)
2 - 154' Parker Through Truss
1 - 153' Parker Through Truss
Length of largest span: 154.0 ft.
Total length: 975.0 ft.
- Also called
- MILW - Iowa River Bridge
IC&E Iowa River Bridge
Rock Island Bridge #413
BCR&N Iowa River Bridge
RI Iowa River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.29153, -91.35968 (decimal degrees)
41°17'29" N, 91°21'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/637345/4572417 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Columbus Junction
- Inventory number
- BH 48845 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 20, 2015: Updated by John Marvig: Bridge has Been Removed
- April 14, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- March 11, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- October 18, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- October 18, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Edited photos and added info
- August 31, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added info from RI track chart
- August 14, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- March 25, 2013: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- March 24, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added build date
- February 14, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Edited description.
- January 29, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway"
- December 30, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- June 18, 2012: Updated by Owen McCormick: Rails have been removed.
- September 13, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: Added Streetview
- June 3, 2011: Added by Luke Harden