Now carries the bike trail
The Cedar Valley Trail occupies this former IANR bridge.
Photo taken by Quinn Phelan
BH Photo #178021
This was never an Iowa Northern RR bridge. Iowa Northern's operations have never extended south of Cedar Rapids on the former Rock Island. The section of line from West Liberty to Cedar Rapids was never operated following the RI's 1980 bankruptcy until its removal shortly thereafter.
This bridge was built by the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern (BCR&N). That line was merged into the Rock Island system in about 1903. The IANR was formed from some of the ashes of the Rock Island when the Rock was broken up after bankrupcy. Much of the stone used in stone BCR&N bridges was quarried from the Cedar Valley Quarries (Bealer Quarries), now Cedar Valley Park, a Cedar County Conservation Area.