Rochester Avenue Bridge
Rochester Ave. Bridge
1935 Rochester Ave. Bridge after closure, before demolition. April 3, 2013
Photo taken by Ed Breed in April 2013
Brief History of 2013 replacement
Written by Ed Breed
The 1935 Rochester Ave. Bridge over Ralston Creek in Iowa City had most recently been rated as "structurally deficient" with a sufficiency rating of 5%. Construction on a replacement started April 3, 2013. The primary staging area for construction was Rochester Avenue east of the Bridge and our backyard, which is adjacent. The first picture (the only one I have, I believe), shows the arched balustrades on either side of the bridge (and was taken from the back door of our house). The replacement bridge also features the same type of balustrade, which can be seen in the street view, thus making the new bridge quite reminiscent of the old.
Construction was complicated by the necessity of moving various utilities. Electric poles were moved or removed, and the local distribution line to the south was buried, as were cable TV lines. The gas line attached to the bridge was buried under the stream, and a water main that ran along Rochester Ave was replaced for 2-3 blocks, further complicating access for residents. In addition, new storm drains were installed on both sides of the street both east and west of bridge.
- Steel stringer bridge over Ralston Creek on Rochester Avenue
- Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1934; Replaced 2013
- - Iowa State Highway Commission of Ames, Iowa
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 44.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Ralston Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.66389, -91.51361 (decimal degrees)
41°39'50" N, 91°30'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/623746/4613526 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Iowa City West
- Inventory numbers
- IA 6330 (Iowa bridge number)
BH 51065 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2013)
- Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 2.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- January 24, 2017: New Street View added by Ed Breed
- January 23, 2017: Updated by Ed Breed: Year lost corrected: Bridge was demolished April 2013; new bridge open November 2013
- August 16, 2015: Updated by Luke: Bridge has been replaced
- October 18, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added City
- January 25, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Ralston Creek"
- January 24, 2012: Added by Luke Harden