Greencastle Avenue Bridge
Greencastle Road Bridge
The bridge is in a very eerie setting because the surrounding area was so stripped by the June 2008 flood.
Photo taken by Quinn Phelan in February 2009
BH Photo #134526
Created by Quinn Phelan
Go here for a short video from today - Fabruary 28, 2009...
- Through truss bridge over Iowa River on Greencastle Avenue
- Johnson County, Iowa
- Built 1922; Abandoned 1992
- - A.P. Munson (Subcontractor)
- Iowa Bridge Co. of Des Moines, Iowa
- Iowa State Highway Commission of Ames, Iowa
- Main span: Riveted, 6-panel Pratt through truss
Approach: Pratt pony trusses; 1 span removed ca 1950
Length of largest span: 102.0 ft.
Total length: 202.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.3 ft.
- Also called
- Greencastle Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.79162, -91.71446 (decimal degrees)
41°47'30" N, 91°42'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/606813/4627438 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 81 N., R. 7 W.
- Inventory numbers
- IA 205670 (Iowa bridge number)
BH 13765 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 19, 2020: New photo from Luke
- February 25, 2018: New Street View added by Luke
- April 7, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- April 6, 2017: Updated by Luke: Noted specific abandonment date
- June 10, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added builder
- March 22, 2014: New photos from Steve Rasmussen
- May 12, 2013: New photos from Dave King
- July 29, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected road and bridge name
- February 28, 2009: Essay added by Quinn Phelan