Wapsipinicon River Bridge
These five photos are of a makeshift suspension bridge built at the site of the old bridge. Nothing remains of the truss to photograph, except the former road leading to it.
Photo taken by Don Morrison in July 2013
BH Photo #260182
Bridge was apparently damaged by a farm vehicle collision and completely removed in the year 2000.
The makeshift suspension bridge is apparently gone per satellite view.
Possibly to be replaced.
There is a possibility AF-39 (by Wapsi Produce) will be worked on this summer. The old bridge collapsed and was removed in 2000. The new Afton Township bridge will be 201 ft. x 24 ft. It is estimated to cost just under $1 million.
- Lost pony truss bridge over Wapsipinicon River on 180th Street
- Howard County, Iowa
- Removed but not replaced; Replacement possible
- Built 1904, collapsed and removed 2000; possibly to be replaced 2018 - 2019
- Pony truss
Length of largest span: 57.1 ft.
Total length: 105.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.25542, -92.53673 (decimal degrees)
43°15'20" N, 92°32'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/537603/4789284 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 97 N., R. 14 W., Sec. 6
- Inventory numbers
- IA 181930 (Iowa bridge number)
BH 13650 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 21, 2018: Updated by Don Morrison: Potential replacement pending
- July 21, 2013: New photos from Don Morrison
- February 9, 2012: Updated by Jason Smith: This bridge has been removed.
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- Don Morrison