Coal Bank Hill Bridge (Original)
Public Domain: Published Prior to 1923
BH Photo #262569
In April 1881 the Hardin County Board of Supervisors resolved to erect an all-iron bridge across the Iowa River. Spanning 155 feet, the structure would form the north entrance to Eldora, the county seat. In June a contract to erect the bridge and its tubular piers was awarded to the Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio. Known locally as the Coal Bank Hill Bridge, this structure carried regional traffic until the late 1910s, when Hardin County began considering its replacement. [Adapted from Crow-Dolby and Fraser 1992].
- Lost Whipple through truss bridge over Iowa River on Road
- Hardin County, Iowa
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1881, Replaced 1919
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- Whipple through truss
Span length: 155.0 ft.
Total length: 155.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.38106, -93.09664 (decimal degrees)
42°22'52" N, 93°05'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/492044/4692090 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Steamboat Rock
- Inventory number
- BH 56181 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 7, 2016: New photo from Art Suckewer
- May 6, 2013: New photo from Luke Harden
- May 5, 2013: Added by Luke Harden