BNSF - Burlington Bridge
Overall View Of Bridge, Protective Pier And Mississippi River. View To Northeast
Photo by Clayton B. Fraser, August 1985, for HAER
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #122597
- Through truss bridge over Mississippi River on BNSF Railway in Burlington
- Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, and Henderson County, Illinois
- Replaced by a new bridge 2011-2012
- Built 1893; Replaced 2011-2012.
- - George S. Morison of New Bedford, Massachusetts
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- BNSF Railway (BNSF)
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CBQ)
- One pin-connected swing span and six pin-connected Whipple through truss spans.
Swing span being replaced by through-truss lift span of 307.5 feet. In addition to the lift span, one fixed span on the east side was replaced with three smaller, temporary spans until completion of the lift span.
- Also called
- CBQ - Burlington Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.79854, -91.09205 (decimal degrees)
40°47'55" N, 91°05'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/660953/4518145 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 37319 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 11, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
- May 1, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Updated Design of main span and lost date
- October 15, 2012: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Replacement bridge completed, scheduled for dedication 18 Oct 2012; bridge updated to "No Longer Exists"
- April 4, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Amtrak", "Navigable waterway", "HAER documented"
- October 2, 2011: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- November 10, 2010: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge in process of replacement; updated to reflect construction
- June 13, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type and GPS.
- August 26, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning