Storm Creek Bridge
© Iowa Department of Transportation
BH Photo #270772
The Storm Creek Bridge II is one of a series of riveted Warren pony trusses built in Carroll county in 1913; it is the prototypical example of what would become an Iowa State Highway Commission standard design. The bridge carries the secondary county road 190th Street over Storm Creek some four miles east of Carroll. The structure consists of a 55-foot, rigid-connected Warren pony truss, supported by a timber substructure. According to Carroll County records, the bridge traces its history to late 1912, when the county board of supervisors awarded a contract to build all of the county's steel and wood bridges for 1913 to the Standard Bridge Company of Omaha. The following spring the Iowa State Highway Commission prepared designs for nine separate pony trusses, ranging in span length from 35 to 75 feet. In July 1913 the county authorized construction of fifteen steel bridges built from these designs. The ISHC's First Annual Report announced that the bridges were to be used "largely as standards for other counties desiring that type of bridge." The report concluded that the structures, "while not possessing the neat appearance or the rigidity of the slab floor type of bridge, seemed to be very much in demand by the counties having a considerable number of drainage ditches to span, which deserved cheaper construction." The list included this 55-foot pony truss between sections 14 and 23 of Grant Township, with an estimated cost of $1,987. Standard Bridge subsequently erected the bridges for the aggregate sum of $29,174. Since its completion in 1913, this bridge has carried vehicular traffic with only minor, maintenance-related repairs.
The Iowa State Legislature passed the Brockway Act on April 9, 1913, largely in response to poor road and bridge contracting practices among the counties. As one of the act's key provisions, the newly reorganized state highway commission was directed to design (or approve designs for) all vehicular bridges costing more than $2,000. ISHC, under the direction of Designing Engineer C.B. McCullough, prepared so-called "special designs" for the major crossings. For the myriad small ditch and stream crossings across the state, ISHC developed standardized plans. These standards initially included concrete slabs and culverts and steel through and pony trusses. The plans submitted to Carroll County in the spring of 1913 represented the prototypes for ISHC's pony trusses: experimental designs that soon became the basis for the ISHC X-Series standards. The unimposing Carroll County span is thus technologically significant, because it represents one of the state's prototypical X-Series standards [adapted from Fraser 1992].
- Lost pony truss bridge over Storm Creek on 190th
- Carroll County, Iowa
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1913; replaced 2003
- - Conde B. McCullough of Redfield, South Dakota (Consulting Engineer for ISHC)
- Iowa State Highway Commission of Ames, Iowa (Designer)
- Standard Bridge Co. of Omaha, Nebraska (Contractor)
- Warren pony truss
Length of largest span: 55.1 ft.
Total length: 57.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.07778, -94.78056 (decimal degrees)
42°04'40" N, 94°46'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/352715/4659945 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Carroll East
- Land survey
- T. 84 N., R. 34 W., Sec. 23
- Inventory numbers
- IA 95290 (Iowa bridge number)
BH 13015 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 20, 2013: New photo from Luke Harden
- April 26, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added Road Name