MILW - Madrid High Bridge (Old)
This large steel trestle was built in 1913 and served into the 1970s, before the Saylorville Reservoir project necessitated its removal ca. 1973. The bridge's concrete footing pads were not designed for submergence, which would happen when high waters backed up the channel. The Iowa Corps of Engineers constructed a new bridge atop large, modern concrete piers designed to allow for inundation. One of the original bridge's concrete abutments was left in place, and today it functions as a lookout platform for viewing the current day High Trestle Trail Bridge.
- Lost Deck truss bridge over Des Moines River on Railroad
- Boone County, Iowa
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1913 as a double track bridge, relegated to single track in 1934, replaced in 1973
- - Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (MILW; CMStP&P; CMStP)
- Deck truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.86676, -93.86882 (decimal degrees)
41°52'00" N, 93°52'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/427896/4635347 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 52368 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 5, 2013: New photo from Dylan VanAntwerp
- July 12, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Des Moines River"
- January 2, 2013: New photos from Luke Harden
- August 21, 2012: New photo from Jacob P. Bernard
- June 24, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added build date
- May 5, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad"
- Jacob P. Bernard
- Dylan VanAntwerp - dylan_vanantwerp [at] live [dot] com