Paint Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Troy Knox in September 2020
BH Photo #489758
This bridge is virtually identical to Milwaukee Road spans originally fabricated in 1876 to cross the Mississippi River at La Crosse. It is highly likely that the span came from there, was moved to the Watervile area in approximately 1902/1903, and later replaced by a new railroad structure. When the bridge was replaced, it appears it was sold to either the county or a private owner for driveway access. It is possible that the bridge was cut down in length upon being moved from La Crosse.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Paint Creek on Driveway
- Allamakee County, Iowa
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1876 as a railroad bridge, moved to the area Ca. 1903, Relocated for road use Ca. 1945
- - American Bridge Company of Chicago, Illinois
- American Bridge Works of Chicago, Illinois
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 100.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.17807, -91.26568 (decimal degrees)
43°10'41" N, 91°15'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/640954/4782049 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 64119 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 30, 2021: New photos from Luke
- September 21, 2020: Updated by John Marvig: added build date, current owner and presumed background information
- November 16, 2014: Added by Kevin Skow