HCR - Wailuku River Bridge (Hilo)
Railway bridge over mouth of wailuku river
The original trestle bridge.
Photo from Drregor
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #246886
Heavy rain and an earthquake are blamed for the crumbling of ten of the concrete bents. Presumably the replacement was the three span riveted Warren truss.
- Lost Stringer bridge over Wailuku River on Hilo Railroad
- Hilo, Hawaii County, Hawaii
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built as Hilo Railroad expanded up the Hamakau coast, collapsed 1923 Mar 31
- - Hawaii Consolidated Railway (HCR)
Total length: 420.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +19.72819, -155.08746 (decimal degrees)
19°43'41" N, 155°05'15" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 5/281230/2182748 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 55204 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 14, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Hawaii Consolidated Railway", "Railroad"
- January 14, 2013: Added by Fmiser
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
- Hawaii bridges - Article mentioning the bridge collapse.