Horse Creek Bridge
GDOT Transportation Explorer
BH Photo #226466
The following text is taken from the updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey.
The bridge carries a two-lane road over a stream in a forested rural setting. The bridge is on a bypassed section of old SR 33. In 1919 the state highway department took over the road (Sylvester-Moultrie Road) as part of the original state highway system. In the early 1920s the road was upgraded to a sand-clay road surface with new bridges. In the 1930s the bridge was bypassed when SR 33 was hard-paved and placed on a new alignment.
Summary of Significance:
The 6-span T beam bridge (6 @ 20') is an early example of a standard state highway department T beam bridge on a bypassed section of state highway. The bridge, which was completed in 1921, is representative of the highway department's first bridge building efforts. The bridge has concrete balustrades with paneled and capped posts, paneled fascia, and 3-column concrete bents. Although two sections of railing are missing, the bridge is one of the longer and better preserved examples of at least five pre-1930 T beam bridges in Worth County. The balustrades are an example of an early state highway department standard railing known as "Type E," which is not as common as some other types. Because of its age and association with early state highway improvements, the bridge is a historically distinguished example of a T beam bridge.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over Horse Creek on Old GA 33
- Worth County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1921
- - State Highway Department
- The bridge is a representative example of a common type and design. It was a state standard design used extensively for improvements to roads taken into the state highway system.
Length of largest span: 20.0 ft.
Total length: 120.0 ft.
Deck width: 21.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +31.43473, -83.83620 (decimal degrees)
31°26'05" N, 83°50'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/230424/3481264 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numers
- GA 32150490 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 49981 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 71.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 18, 2017: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added information on NR eligibility from Georgia Historic Bridge Survey
- March 2, 2012: New photos from Eddie Douthitt
- November 1, 2011: Added by James Baughn