Whitfield County

Anderson Bridge   [Map]
Closed spandrel arch bridge with steel stringer couplet over Coahulla Creek on Cohutta Beaverdale Road
Open to traffic
Built 1930; rehabilitated 1961 by removing old railings, adding steel stringer to make bridge 2 lane
Bridge on Old Alignment GA Highway 2   [Map]
Steel stringer bridge over Conasauga River tributary on abandoned alignment of GA Highway 2
Abandoned
Steel stringer on abandoned alignment of GA Highway 2 at Beaverdale. Culvert that is under the current alignment of 2 which is right next to here was built in 1957, so I suspect that is when this bridge was abandoned
Browns Bridge   [Map]
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Conasauga River on Airport Road
Replaced by new bridge
Built 1890, replaced 1975
Chatsworth Road Mill Creek Bridge   [Map · Street View]
Abandoned steel stringer bridge over Mill Creek
Abandoned
Steel stringer on abandoned alignment of Chatsworth Road (Highway 52) just east of Dalton, abandoned sometime in the 1930's or 40's
Chattanooga Rd Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned steel stringer bridge over Mill Creek on old alignment of Chatanooga Rd/ Dixie Highway/ US 41
Abandoned
Built ca.1920, was used as a county road till sometime in the 80's, last time I drove across it was in the late '70's. It is located just to the north of modern US 41 in Rocky Face, GA
Chetoogeta Mountain Tunnel   [Map]
Tunnel under Chetoogeta Mountain on CSX Railroad (Formerly L & N Railroad, NC&StL Railroad ) in Tunnel Hill
Open to rail traffic
Started July 1927, completed December 1928
Coahulla Creek Bridge   [Map]
Closed spandrel arch bridge over Coahulla Creek on abandoned alignment of Beaverdale Road
Abandoned on private property
Built around 1920, abandoned 1971 when new 2 lane bridge opened just to the north
Dawnville Road Bridge   [Map · Street View]
Steel stringer bridge over Coahulla Creek on Dawnville Road
Open to traffic
Built 1957, this bridge is what took the place of the Underwood/Renfroe Bridge
Drowning Bear Creek Bridge   [Map]
Concrete tee beam bridge over Drowning Bear Creek on Old Sr 3 (US 41)
Open to traffic
Built 1927; rehabilitated 1949
Dunagan Road Bridge   [Map]
Concrete arch bridge with steel stringer attached over East Chickamauga Creek on Dunagan Road
Replaced by new bridge
Built 1922; rehabilitated 1979 by tearing down side rails and building a steel stringer next to it and attaching them together, replaced 2011 by new bridge
Emerson Road Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned steel stringer bridge over Coahulla Creek on Emerson Rd. east of Cohutta, GA
Abandoned with steel railings removed
Built around 1920, abandoned 1991 with new bridge opening just to the north. This was most likely built by Champion Bridge Co., compare to the Seaton Bridge which is about 2 miles away
Freeman Springs Bridge   [Map · Street View]
Concrete arch bridge over East Chickamauga Creek on Freeman Springs Road
Open to traffic
Built 1921
Gordon Street Bridge   [Map]
Steel stringer bridge over Norfolk Southern Railway / CSX Railroad (719083g) on Gordon Street in Dalton
Open to traffic
Built 1937
Little Swamp Creek Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned steel stringer bridge over Little Swamp Creek on an abandoned road
Abandoned
Looper Bridge   [Map]
Dual ribbed closed-spandrel arch bridge over Conasauga River
Closed to all traffic
Built about 1920, this section of Looper Bridge Road was closed in the early '80's, now used by local utility company to carry pipelines
Maddox Mill Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned pratt pony truss bridge over Coahulla Creek on old alignment of Chatsworth Highway / SR 52
Abandoned on private property
Built sometime around 1915, abandoned in the 1930's or 40's when Chatsworth Highway was moved to it's present alignment
Mcgaughey Chapel Road Bridge   [Map]
Lost concrete arch bridge over Coahulla Creek on Mcgaughey Chapel Road
Replaced by new bridge
Replaced 1978
Mill Creek Bridge   [Map]
Lost concrete arch bridge over Mill Creek on Mill Creek Road
No longer exists
Built ca. 1920; rehabilitated 1974; replaced 2004 with a frame culvert
Mitchell Bridge   [Map]
Concrete arch bridge over Conasauga River on Old Mitchell Br. Road
Abandoned in 2001 when this road was decommissioned
Built ca. 1920
Redwine Cove Road Bridge   [Map]
Concrete arch bridge over Swamp Creek on Redwine Cove Road
Open to traffic
Built 1924; rehabilitated 1986 with steel stringer couplet
Riverbend Road Bridge   [Map]
Warren pony truss bridge over Drowning Bear Creek on abandoned alignment of Riverbend Rd.
Open on a private access road
Year built unknown, bypassed in the late 1970's or early 1980's, now used on an access road for Dalton Utilities on gated private property
Seaton Bridge   [Map]
Steel stringer bridge over Mills Creek on Seaton Loop Road east of Cohutta, GA
Open to traffic
Built 1921 by the Champion Bridge Co.
Sloan Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned camelback through truss bridge over Conasauga River on Tilton Rd (Sloan Bridge Rd)
Abandoned on private property with missing deck
Built 1912, abandoned late 1970's when the road was closed
Sugar Creek Bridge   [Map]
Concrete arch bridge with steel stringer attached over Sugar Creek on Little Murray Road
Open to traffic
Original arch bridge built 1926, had the one of the railings removed and steel stringer was built next to and attached to it in 1988-89
Swamp Creek Bridge   [Map]
Concrete tee beam bridge over Swamp Creek on US 41
Open to traffic
Built 1949
Tibbs Bridge   [Map]
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Conasauga River on Tibbs Bridge Road
Replaced by new bridge
Built 1918 to replace a wooden bridge that had been there since the 1880's, replaced 1980
Tilton Bridge   [Map]
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Conasauga River on Tilton Bridge Road
Replaced by new bridge
Built 1886, replaced by a UCEB in 1984
Tilton CSX Bridge   [Map]
Beam bridge over Swamp Creek
Open to traffic
Underwood Bridge   [Map]
Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Coahulla Creek on abandoned section of Old Underwood Rd
Abandoned
Built sometime around 1920, abandoned 1957 when this section of Old Underwood Road was closed
Underwood Street Bridge   [Map]
Abandoned closed-spandrel arch bridge over Mill Creek on old alignment of Underwood Street in Dalton
Abandoned
Built around 1920, abandoned 1972 when new 2 lane bridge opened just to the south
Western & Atlantic Tunnel   [Map]
Tunnel under Chetoogeta Mountain on abandoned alignment of the Western & Atlantic, later Nashville Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad in Tunnel Hill
Open to pedestrians per museum schedule
Excavation started in 1848, first train of cars passed through 1850, The Great Locomotive Chase passed through April 12th 1862 during the Civil War, abandoned 1928 when new tunnel was built just to the north, refurbished 1990's, reopened 2000
Willowdale Bridge   [Map]
Pony truss bridge over Mill Creek on abandoned section of Willowdale Road in Dalton
Abandoned
Built 1915