Jack Glass Road Bridge
Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in May 2010
BH Photo #164630
Information from 2012 Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
The single-lane bridge carries an unpaved rural road over a tree-lined stream in a rural setting on the county line with Barrow County.
The light, traditionally composed Warren with verticals pony truss bridge is supported on concrete abutments and has bolted field connections. It is finished with a wood plank deck. The bridge has severe impact damage to one end post and some verticals. There are also missing bolts.
Summary of Significance:
The Warren with verticals pony truss bridge was determined not eligible in 1981. The plaque identifies Leamons & Evans of Atlanta as the fabricators, but nothing is known about the firm. The company is not listed in Victor Darnell's inventory of pre-1901 bridge fabricators. This bridge is identical to 105-5022-0 in Elbert Co. that was determined eligible in the 1981 survey. There is also a third example from the same fabricator, and it too was determined eligible in 1981 (105-5071-0). This bridge has significant impact damage and deterioration that will make the prudence of rehabilitation a considered choice. Refer to the management plan for 105-5022-0 for an appropriate decision making protocol for this bridge.
GADOT. Bridge Inspection File & Plans.
- Warren pony truss bridge over Apalachee River on Jack Glass Road
- Walton County, Georgia, and Barrow County, Georgia
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1930 by Leamon and Evans of Atlanta
- - Leamon and Evans of Atlanta, Georgia
- Warren pony truss
Span length: 79.7 ft.
Total length: 79.7 ft.
Deck width: 9.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Jerico Road Bridge
Tom Camp Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.91347, -83.66523 (decimal degrees)
33°54'49" N, 83°39'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/253589/3755761 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Winder South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 29750150 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12624 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2014)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 13.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 30, 2020: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added NR eligibility and info from GHBS
- May 14, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Added alternate name
- May 9, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Corrected GPS coordinates
- April 12, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Status
- Dave Michaels
- Eddie Douthitt - dalton1861 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Amber Rhea