Greenville Street Bridge
Photo taken by Amber Rhea in November 2014
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
BH Photo #358561
The following description is from the updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey.
The bridge carries a two-lane state highway over tracks of the CSX Railroad, the former Atlanta and West Point Railroad, in the eastern section of LaGrange. SR 109 was added to the state highway system in 1937. The area is adjacent to the Dixie Cotton Mill and related mill housing. It appears to have historic district potential. The bridge that is part of the west boundary is within the period of significance of the potential district. There are two textile mills in the area; one is just north of the bridge.
The 18-span steel stringer overpass built in 1937 is superelevated, skewed, and has both horizontal and vertical curves. It ranks as one of the most significant New Deal grade crossing elimination bridges in the state based on size and its complicated engineering. The approach spans are a combination of simple and continuous steel stringer spans supported on timber pile and concrete cap bents. The columns for the span crossing the tracks are set beyond the fascia beams to provide needed horizontal clearance. In addition to its technological significance, it is a contributing resource to a potential historic district composed of the Dixie Cotton Mill and related workers housing.
- Steel stringer bridge over CSX Railroad on Greenville Street (formerly State Route 109)
- LaGrange, Troup County, Georgia
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Bridge is being replaced as part of GDOT P.I. #343455. Replacement of the bridge is an adverse effect under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, as the bridge itself is NR eligible as is the surrounding Dunson Mill Historic District. Mitigation and context sensitive design have been completed.
- Built 1937 by the State Highway Department
- - Georgia State Highway Department
- Steel stringer
Total length: 510.0 ft.
Deck width: 32.2 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.04367, -85.00693 (decimal degrees)
33°02'37" N, 85°00'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/686107/3657893 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- La Grange
- Inventory number
- BH 72796 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 7, 2017: New photo from Amber Rhea
- July 14, 2016: New Street View added by Amber Rhea