Old Highway 84 Overpass
GDOT Transportation Explorer
BH Photo #226474
The following text was taken from the updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey.
The bridge carries a two-lane road over a track of the CSX Railroad, the former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The setting is rural with forests and scattered farms and residences. The bridge is on a bypassed section of old US 84/SR 38. The route was included in the original state highway system of 1919. It was upgraded to a gravel-surfaced road from 1923 to 1924 at which time this bridge was constructed to replace a grade crossing on an old alignment to the east of the bridge.
Summary of Significance:
The skewed 5-span T beam bridge has concrete balustrades, paneled fascia, and 3-column concrete bent piers and spill thru abutments. The bridge is a well preserved standard design T beam bridge on a bypassed section of early 1920s state highway that retains its integrity of setting. The bridge is also one of the earliest state highway department sponsored grade elimination projects identified by the survey. The bridge has good integrity although portions of the balustrades have been damaged, and a section on the east side approach span has been replaced with two-rail high concrete railings. Because of its age and association with early state highway improvements in this region of the state, the bridge is historically distinguished from the fewer than 60 pre-1930 T beam bridges evaluated by the survey.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over CSX Railroad on Old US 84
- Thomas County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1923
- - State Highway Department
- - Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL)
- CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (SCL)
- The bridge is a representative example of a common type and design. It was a state standard design used extensively for improvements to roads taken into the state highway system.
Length of largest span: 44.0 ft.
Total length: 124.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.79500, -83.80833 (decimal degrees)
30°47'42" N, 83°48'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/231276/3410256 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 27551070 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 51573 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 40.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 18, 2017: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added information on NR eligibility from Georgia Historic Bridge Survey
- July 2, 2016: Updated by Luke: Corrected info per forum comment
- March 2, 2012: Added by Eddie Douthitt
- Eddie Douthitt - dalton1861 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Amber Rhea