Tallulah River Bridge
Somewhat of a shot looking from the northwest. It was very difficult to get a side angle, because of the steep slope and underbrush made it too risky.
Photo taken by James Legg in July 2009
BH Photo #157579
Information from updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
Current National Register Status of Bridge: Eligible. GHBI 1981.
Local, Determined Eligible, or NR Historic District/Status: One of 3 high artistic merit bridges in scenic location. Bridge type is not common.
Aesthetic, 3 span bridge with 115'-long, ribbed open spandrel arch main span. Approach spans are T beams. Deco influenced balustrades. Deep cantilevered deck sections.
Summary of Significance:
The bridge was determined eligible in 1981. It is one of three aesthetic bridges built by the department in the scenic area in the early 1930s. All three remain.
- Concrete arch bridge over Tallulah River on CR 152
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1932
- - State Highway Department
- Open Spandrel Arch
Length of largest span: 114.8 ft.
Total length: 201.8 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.77891, -83.41527 (decimal degrees)
34°46'44" N, 83°24'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/278988/3851183 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 24150260 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12607 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 20, 2018: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added NR eligibility info from GHBS
- March 23, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Added Google Street View
- JT Legg - talmo346 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Eddie Douthitt - dalton1861 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Amber Rhea