Tallulah Falls Bridge
Approach from north looking southeast.
Photo taken by JT Legg
BH Photo #157581
Information from updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
Current National Register Status of Bridge: Eligible. GHBI 1981.
Local, Determined Eligible, or NR Historic District/Status: One of 3 high artistic merit bridges in scenic location.
The bridge carries the 1930s alignment of US 441over the river in the gorge. The hydroelectric dam was completed in 1914. The segment of highway is located in the Tallulah Gorge State Park. Access to it is not controlled.
Well proportioned, 3-span, reinforced concrete deck arch with brush hammer finish to spandrel walls while arch ring is smooth finish. Deco-style concrete balustrades.
Summary of Significance:
The bridge was determined eligible in 1981. It is one of three aesthetic bridges built by the department in the scenic area in the early 1930s. All three remain.
- Concrete arch bridge over Tallulah River on Old US 441 in Tallulah Falls
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1932
- - State Highway Department
Length of largest span: 50.9 ft.
Total length: 158.8 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.74975, -83.40221 (decimal degrees)
34°44'59" N, 83°24'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/280105/3847920 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Tallulah Falls
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 24150250 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12576 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 20, 2018: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added NR eligibility info from GHBS
- November 13, 2015: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- JT Legg - talmo346 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Amber Rhea