Tallulah Falls Bridge
Approach from south.
Photo taken by JT Legg
BH Photo #157588
Information from updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
Current National Register Status of Bridge: Eligible. GHBI 1981.
Local, Determined Eligible, or NR Historic District/Status: One of 3 high artistic merit bridges in scenic location. Bridge type is not common.
The bridge carries the 1930s alignment of US 441over the river/lake in the gorge. The lake was created after the hydroelectric dam was completed in 1914. The remains of a railroad bridge cross the north end of the bridge. The segment of highway is located in the Tallulah Gorge State Park. Access to it is not controlled.
Aesthetic, one span, ribbed open spandrel arch with Deco influenced balustrades. Abutments finished with Neoclassical channeling. Deep cantilevered deck sections. Earth-filled abutments.
Summary of Significance:
The bridge was determined eligible in 1981. It is one of three aesthetic bridges built by the department in the scenic area in the early 1930s. All three remain.
- Concrete arch bridge over Tallulah River on Old US 441 in Tallulah Falls
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1932
Span length: 146.0 ft.
Total length: 146.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.74167, -83.40167 (decimal degrees)
34°44'30" N, 83°24'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/280134/3847022 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Tallulah Falls
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 24150240 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12575 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 57.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 20, 2018: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added NR eligibility info from GHBS
- JT Legg - talmo346 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Amber Rhea