Carter's Quarter Bridge
Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt
BH Photo #126456
The following information was taken from the updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey.
The bridge carries a two-lane highway over the Coosawattee River in a forested rural setting approximately 500 yds. downstream from US Army Corps of Engineer's Coosawattee River Reregulation Reservoir, constructed from 1972 to 1976. The reservoir stores water for reuse and regulates downstream flow from Carter's Dam, located 1.5 miles upstream. Downstream of the bridge is a ca. 1905 Warren thru truss bridge carrying a single track of the CSX Railroad's Knoxville-Atlanta branch. The highway bridge is at the southern end of the defined boundaries of the proposed Murray Co. Rural Historic District. In 1994 a survey for the district was prepared by the Georgia DOT.
Summary of Significance:
The eight-span reinforced concrete T beam bridge has concrete balustrades, paneled fascia, and two-column concrete bent piers and spill thru abutments. The two main spans of the bridge measure 52'-long and are examples of the longest standard-design T beam spans built by the highway department prior to 1930. Because of its age, integrity, and length, the bridge is an historically and technologically distinguished example of a T beam bridge among the fewer than 60 identified pre-1930 T beam bridges. The bridge is also historically distinguished by its setting in the
proposed Murray Co. Rural Historic District, and would be a contributing resource to the district.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over Coosawattee River on Old US 411
- Murray County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1928
- - State Highway Department
- Concrete tee beam
Length of largest span: 51.8 ft.
Total length: 314.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Coosawattee River Bridge
Old US 411 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.60361, -84.69556 (decimal degrees)
34°36'13" N, 84°41'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/711313/3831500 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 21300430 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 37690 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of January 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 41.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 31, 2017: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added information on NR eligibility from Georgia Historic Bridge Survey
- December 15, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- May 1, 2009: New photos from James F. Gentner
- October 20, 2008: Updated by Eddie Douthitt
- October 19, 2008: Added by Eddie Douthitt
- Eddie Douthitt - dalton1861 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- James F. Gentner - jfgentner678 [at] aol [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Amber Rhea