Sumac Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in December 2010
BH Photo #190456
Tragedy Comes 12-3-2011
Written by Eddie Douthitt
Two young men had a fatal head on collision on this bridge on 12-3-11. One of them was a close friend of mine from where I work. Rest in peace Stevie Mulkey, Jr. Also, my sympathies go out to the other who lost his life, Jason Bartley. This section of U.S. 411 has had many fatalities over the years, and now more blood is spilled upon it. Sad, sad day.
- Concrete arch bridge over Sumac Creek on US 411/GA 61
- Murray County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Will be destroyed and replaced by a modern bridge for the Georgia Inland Port which will be built just North of it.
- Built 1925; rehabilitated 1957 with widening
- Closed spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 60.7 ft.
Total length: 223.8 ft.
Deck width: 27.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.89361, -84.74972 (decimal degrees)
34°53'37" N, 84°44'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/705625/3863555 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 21300170 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12592 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of January 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 39.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 30, 2016: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Doomed
- December 6, 2011: Essay added by Eddie Douthitt
- December 15, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Edited history and added new pictures
- March 11, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Added Google Street View
- November 2, 2008: New photos from Eddie Douthitt
- Eddie Douthitt - dalton1861 [at] yahoo [dot] com