Information from the updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
The bridge carries two lanes of traffic over a stream in a rural setting with scattered modern housing including trailer homes to the west of the bridge. The bridge is located on a bypassed loop of old US 29/SR 8. This route was historically the route of the Bankhead Highway tourist trail that was promoted in the late 1910s and incorporated into the Georgia state highway system in 1919. The route was designated US 29 in 1926. The highway department concrete paved this section of highway in the early 1930s, and this 20'-wide concrete paving is still visible on sections of the bypassed loop. Just east of this bridge is another bypassed section of old US 29/SR 8 that includes another T beam bridge (147-5020-0) and a concrete arch (147-5021-0). The arch was recommended eligible by the 1981 survey.
Summary of Significance:
The three-span reinforced concrete T beam bridge (3 @ 24') has concrete balustrades, paneled fascia, and two-column concrete bent piers and spill thru abutments. The bridge was originally constructed ca. 1923 as part of the first generation improvements to SR 8 (Bankhead Highway). In 1931 the bridge was widened from 18' to 22'. The widening project consisted of removal of the original hand rails and outside beams, and addition of two new beams, hand rails, and curbs. This bridge is historically distinguished because it is located on a well-preserved, bypassed section of an early and historically important state route, and it also well illustrates the type of early 1930s widening projects undertaken by the department to resolve the problem of narrow bridges.