The bridge carries a two-lane county road over a tree-lined stream in a rural setting with scattered housing including modern trailer homes. The bridge is located on a bypassed loop of old US 29/SR 8. This route was historically the route of the Bankhead Highway tourist trail that was promoted in the late 1910s and incorporated into the Georgia state highway system in 1919. The route was designated US 29 in 1926. The highway department concrete-paved this section of highway in the early 1930s, and this 20'-wide concrete paving is still visible on sections of the bypassed loop. About 1/5th of a mile west from this bridge is a 1923 deck arch (147-5021-0) that was rated eligible in the 1981 survey. About 1 mile to the west is another bypassed section of old US 29/SR 8 that includes another T beam bridge (147-5031-0) of similar age and description.
Summary of Significance:
The four-span reinforced concrete T beam bridge (4 @ 20') has concrete balustrades, brush curbs, paneled fascia, and two-column concrete bent piers and spill thru abutments. The bridge was originally constructed ca. 1923 as part of the first generation state highway improvements to SR 8 (Bankhead Highway). The bridge is a standard design of the state highway department and is typical of the type of T beam bridges built by the department in the early 1920s. Because of its age, integrity, and location on a well-preserved bypassed section of an historically important cross-state highway, the bridge is recommended as individually eligible.