I-85 Piedmont Avenue Overpass
Concrete viaduct carrying I-85 over Piedmont Road, Peachtree Creek, and DOT storage area burned and then northbound lanes collapsed on March 30, 2017. Southbound lanes damaged and closed also, though did not collapse. Suspect wooden spools of PVC tubing stored under viaduct ignited somehow. (Shown on google street view.) Arson is suspected with 3 individuals arrested.
Key location on Atlanta's highway system, loss of this bridge will cause traffic nightmares for all of Atlanta for a considerable amount of time. Fortunately, no injuries.
Reopening tentatively scheduled for June 15, 2017, with contractor incentives for finishing prior to that date.
- Lost Concrete deck girder bridge over Piedmont Avenue and Peachtree Creek on I-85
- Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
- Destroyed by fire, NB lanes collapsed
- Future prospects
- Will be rebuilt as quickly as possible, reopening set for June 15, 2017
- Destroyed by fire March 30, 2017
- Concrete deck girder viaduct over Piedmont Avenue, S Fork Peachtree Creek, and empty land
Length of largest span: 119.1 ft.
Total length: 4,151.1 ft. (0.8 mi.)
Deck width: 155.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.81532, -84.36373 (decimal degrees)
33°48'55" N, 84°21'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/744012/3744805 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Northeast Atlanta
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 12105510 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 76351 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 78 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 23, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Changed name to Piedmont Ave Overpass, SB lanes destroyed too, clarified description, reopening date; add new street view
- March 30, 2017: New Street View added by Roger Deschner
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com