Bankhead Avenue Bridge
Angled View of Bridge
Photo taken by James Adorno in February 2008
BH Photo #113862
Connected to Marietta St through 1991. Major highway traffic had already been rerouted via the nearby CSX underpass of North Avenue by 1954, per USGS topo map.
- Through truss bridge over CSX Railroad on Bankhead Avenue in Atlanta
- Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
- Closed 1991; eastern half removed in late 1990s
- Future prospects
- Multiple plans for use as a skyline-view retail stub fell through; removal comes up as part of urban improvement funding proposals every few years but not scheduled.
- Built 1912
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Skewed, riveted Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 99.7 ft.
Total length: 369.8 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.77306, -84.40715 (decimal degrees)
33°46'23" N, 84°24'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/740110/3740015 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Northwest Atlanta
- 990 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 12151210 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12548 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2010)
- Sufficiency rating: 16.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 18, 2019: Updated by Todd Vierling: some historical background and dates added
- August 13, 2013: New Street View added by Andy Peters
- February 7, 2010: Updated by James Gonzalski: Corrected GPS coordinates and added new photos
- April 29, 2008: New photos from James Adorno