From the NPS website
One engineering structure and two buildings from a domestic farm which would have been covered by the Russell Lake were relocated to preserve their historic characteristics. Blackwell Bridge, built in 1917, has been preserved as a part of a pedestrian trail crossing the lake within Coldwater State Park in Georgia. Army engineers from Fort Stewart, in cooperation with the Savannah District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, attached flotation devices to the bridge and towed it to its new site in 1984. Relocated from its previous site on Beaverdam Creek, the bridge exhibits important features of the American system of pin connections. It is the largest remaining steel truss bridge in Elbert County, Ga.
Note: Coldwater Creek State Park was the original name, it was changed to the Richard B. Russell State Park in 1988.
- Pratt through truss bridge over inlet of Richard B. Russell Lake on Blackwell Bridge Trail
- Elbert County, Georgia
- Open to pedestrians
- Was originally on County Road 244, relocated to state park in 1984
- - Austin Brothers Bridge Co. of Dallas Texas/Atlanta, Georgia
- Pratt through truss
Total length: 157.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.15951, -82.74023 (decimal degrees)
34°09'34" N, 82°44'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/339585/3781210 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 47265 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 14, 2015: New photos from Andy Peters
- December 8, 2010: Essay added by Eddie Douthitt
- Eddie Douthitt - eddied1962 [at] charter [dot] net
- Andy Peters - anpete1971 [at] gmail [dot] com