CSX - Ponce de Leon Ave Bridge
Photo From GDOT Transportation Explorer
BH Photo #194514
The bridge carries a railroad track over a 4-lane highway in a setting of early to mid 20th century residences. The rail line was established in 1886-89 by the Georgia, Carolina & Northern, which was incorporated into the Seaboard Air Line in 1892, to provide a connection from its main line in the east Carolinas to Atlanta. The line was completed to a connection with the Georgia Railroad in Inman Park on the east side of Atlanta in 1892.
The 1 span, 62'-long, reinforced-concrete, elliptical, arch bridge has decorative tiles applied to the textured spandrel walls and wingwall end posts. The stylized tiles in the spandrel wall spell out "DRUID HILLS." Other architectural treatment includes the concrete parapets with stepped concrete caps and articulated posts.
The 1911 reinforced-concrete arch bridge is a technologically significant example of its type/design, dating among the six oldest reinforced-concrete arch bridges in the Georgia Historic Bridge Inventory from 1904-1911, and one of the few with architectonic treatment. The reinforced-concrete arch technology was developed in the late 1880s to 1890s, and began to spread across the U.S. in the early 20th century. Among the early promoters of the material were the railroad companies.
- Concrete arch bridge over Ponce de Leon Ave/GA 8 on CSX Railroad
- Atlanta, DeKalb County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1911
- - WALKER & CHASE/J D MCGEE
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Seaboard Air Line Railway (SAL)
- Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (SCL)
Span length: 61.7 ft.
Total length: 61.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.77389, -84.31528 (decimal degrees)
33°46'26" N, 84°18'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/748618/3740325 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Northeast Atlanta
- Average daily traffic (as of 1997)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 08902330 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12552 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 1998)
- View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 16, 2011: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 1, 2011: New photos from Nathan Holth