East approach looking southwest
Photo taken by JT Legg taken February 2007
BH Photo #163503
Mill Walk was formerly known as Rex Road
Information from updated Georgia Historic Bridge Survey (GHBS):
The bridge carried a local collector or arterial road over a stream at the mill at Rex. It was bypassed in 2010-11 and has been removed from the state inventory. The bridge remains in place.
The riveted, Warren with verticals and polygonal upper chords is traditionally composed. The upper chords/end posts are rolled H section. Verticals and diagonals are built up members are lower chords. Many of the original field bolts have been replaced by high strength bolts. Each floorbeam is underpinned at the ends, but several of the beams do not bear on the added supports. One end post has impact damage. Concrete deck.
Summary of Significance:
The 1932 Warren pony truss bridge was determined eligible in 1981 as part of the state's first bridge survey . It is also located in what appears to be a small historic district centered at the bridge, mill, brick commercial building and the railroad. It was underpinned at some point. The bridge has been bypassed by a new bridge on a new alignment, but it remains in place next to the mill.
- Pony truss bridge over Big Cotton Indian Creek on Mill Walk
- Clayton County, Georgia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1932
- - Austin Brothers Bridge Co. of Dallas Texas/Atlanta, Georgia
- Riveted Polygonal Warren Pony truss
Span length: 94.8 ft.
Total length: 94.8 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Big Cotton Indian Creek Bridge
Rex Mill Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.59303, -84.26880 (decimal degrees)
33°35'35" N, 84°16'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/753454/3720376 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- GA 06300860 (Georgia bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 12540 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 18, 2018: Updated by Amber Rhea: Added NR eligibility info from GHBS
- September 1, 2015: Updated by Andy Peters: changes name to Rex Bridge
- April 25, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated GPS and info.
- April 23, 2010: New photos from James Legg
- New Rex Road Bridge (Downstream) - Rex Road re-routed to new bridge; old bridge now carries Mill Walk
- JT Legg - talmo346 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Andy Peters - anpete1971 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Amber Rhea