Photo taken by Scott Johnson at Flickr in March 2010
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #476594
I'm adding this bridge simply to make a point about how modern UCEBs are much more unreliable than historic truss bridges. This bridge, built in 1996, was closed to all traffic in June 2020 after chunks of concrete started falling from the bridge, creating dangerous cracks in the structure.
The bridge was considered to be "at risk for imminent collapse" following the incident. Thankfully, that didn't happen, as this bridge is close to being a single point of failure in the regional transportation network - but it demonstrates the severity of the structural damage.
If nothing else, what has happened to both this bridge and the West Seattle Bridge in Washington State (which has also been added for similar reasons) is ample evidence that any claims about modern bridges being more durable than historic bridges are 100% false.
See also https://www.roadsbridges.com/updated-roosevelt-bridge-florid...
- Concrete segmental box girder bridge over St. Lucie River on U.S. Route 1
- Stuart, Martin County, Florida
- Open with restrictions. Two-way traffic on northbound bridge with southbound bridge closed. Weight limit 5 tons.
- Future prospects
- Emergency repairs ongoing after concrete fell from the bridge in June 2020 causing cracks in the structure. The bridge was closed to all traffic following the incident. The northbound lanes of the Roosevelt Bridge were reopened on July 5, with the southbound lanes remaining closed for an undetermined period of time.
- Built 1996; Closed due to cracks from falling concrete in 2020; emergency repairs ongoing
- Concrete segmental box girder
Length of largest span: 259.9 ft.
Total length: 4,487.1 ft. (0.8 mi.)
Deck width: 51.8 ft.
- Also called
- Stuart Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +27.20477, -80.25867 (decimal degrees)
27°12'17" N, 80°15'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/573418/3009332 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- FDOT 890151 (Florida Dept. of Transportation bridge number)
BH 89998 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 97.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 20, 2020: New photos from Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com