The Drew Bridge is named after Frank & George Drew, sons of George F. Drew, governor of Florida from 1877-1881 and owner of the Drew Lumber Company. The bridge was purchased in Brazil for $15,000 in 1899 by the Drews and was floated on a barge to its present location. The bridge was moved into place by turning a crank in the middle of the bridge as trains needed. The Drew bridge was used until 1920 by the Florida railroad. The bridge was bought jointly by Suwannee & Lafayette county for possible use as a road bridge and has been sitting undisturbed since 1920.The bridge can no longer be reached by road, but can be reached by boat on the Suwannee River.
More info on the history of the Drews, the Drew Lumber Co., and the Florida railway can be found at www.taplines.net.
- Warren Through Truss Swing Bridge over Suwannee River on Abandoned Suwannee & San Pedro Railroad
- Lafayette County, Florida, and Suwannee County, Florida
- Abandoned since mid 20th century.
- Built between 1869-1874 at an unknown location, purchased 1899, installed 1901; abandoned 1920
- - Suwannee & San Pedro Railroad
- Pinned Warren swing bridge
Total length: 260.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.10108, -83.11410 (decimal degrees)
30°06'04" N, 83°06'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/296283/3331871 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Mayo SE
- Inventory number
- BH 47418 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 23, 2018: New photos from John Marvig
- May 11, 2018: Updated by Dave King: Added category "Laced endposts"
- May 11, 2018: Updated by Luke: Removed false "Future Prospects" added by Amanda due to field check by John Marvig
- April 11, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Bridge has been possibly damaged/destroyed by flooding
- October 30, 2016: New photo from Robert Thompson
- January 1, 2011: New photos from Blake K. Reaves
- December 27, 2010: Added by Blake K. Reaves