Sebastian Inlet Bridge
The Sebastian Inlet Bridge is a unique situation. A previous deck plate girder bascule bridge at this location was removed and replaced with the current concrete girder and stringer bridge in 1964. However, the new bridge was built directly on top of the original bridge, rather than next to it. Following the completion of the new high-level bridge that eliminated the need for bridge openings, the original bascule span was removed. However, the deck plate girder approach spans were left in place on either side of the main navigation channel for pedestrian use and fishing, directly underneath the new bridge. As such, a unique double-deck bridge configuration was formed where the new vehicular bridge is the "upper level" and the two disjointed approaches from the original bridge are the "lower level".
- Unique double-deck bridge with concrete girder/stringer spans (upper level) and deck plate girder spans (lower level) over Sebastian Inlet on Florida Scenic Route A1A
- Indian River County, Florida, and Brevard County, Florida
- Open to traffic
- Built 1964 to replace previous bascule bridge
- Vehicular bridge (upper level) is a concrete deck girder bridge with concrete stringer approach spans. Pedestrian bridge (lower level) is comprised of two disconnected deck plate girder spans, which were the approaches to the former bascule span
Length of largest span: 180.1 ft.
Total length: 1,548.0 ft.
Deck width: 28.2 ft.
- Also called
- Orchid Island Bridge
Robert W. Graves Memorial Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +27.86005, -80.44840 (decimal degrees)
27°51'36" N, 80°26'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/554305/3081821 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- FDOT 880005 (Florida Dept. of Transportation bridge number)
BH 90168 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 7, 2020: New photos from Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com