Rising Sun Lane Bridge
Rising Sun Rd. Bridge elevation
Northwest side of Rising Sun Road bridge over Brandywine River
Photo taken by Frank Danberg in March 2009
BH Photo #135407
Rising Sun Lane bridge consists of a 127’-long, riveted, steel Pratt thru truss span and a 25’-long, stone arch approach span for an overall length of 193’ including roadway and fill. The massive ashlar abutments and stone arch over a former mill race were built in 1833 when a Burr arch truss covered bridge was erected. In 1928, the covered bridge was replaced by the present metal truss bridge. The abutments, which were in sound condition, were reused. The 1928 Pratt thru truss bridge incorporates truss details that were standard after 1900. The truss members are all builtup of standard steel sections such as angles, channels, and plates. The bridge is rivet connected with gusset plates at each panel point. A sidewalk with a lattice metal railing is cantilevered from the south side of the bridge.
A historically significant feature of the Rising Sun Lane bridge is also its 25’-long stone arch, built in 1833, and one of the oldest and
longest stone arch highway spans in Delaware.
- Pratt trough truss bridge over Brandywine Creek on Rising Sun Road in Wilmington
- Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware
- Open to traffic
- Built 1928; rehabilitated 1979
- - Harrington, Howard & Ash of Kansas City, Kansas & New York, New York
- Standard Engineering & Contracting Co. of Toledo, Ohio
- Riveted, 6-panel Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 123.0 ft.
Total length: 128.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.76944, -75.57639 (decimal degrees)
39°46'10" N, 75°34'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/450634/4402327 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Wilmington North
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory number
- BH 12300 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 69.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 8, 2015: New Street View added by Andy Peters
- October 7, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 15, 2009: New photos from Frank Danberg