Rating:
No votes cast

W&GF - Foundry Branch Bridge

Photos 

Foundry Branch/Foxhall Trolley Bridge

View from Foxhall/Canal Road, looking north

Photo taken by John C. Abbott in January 2012, used with permission

View this photo at humealumni.org

BH Photo #229664

Map 

Street View 

Facts 

Overview
Pratt deck truss bridge over Foundry Branch on The Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway
Location
Glen Echo, Washington, District of Columbia
Status
Derelict/abandoned
History
Built 1895 for the The Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway
Railroads
- Capital Transit Co.
- Streetcar
- Washington & Great Falls Electric Railway (W&GF)
Design
Pratt deck truss
Dimensions
Total length: 280.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Also called
Cabin John Trolley Trestle (local name)
Foxhall Trolley Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.90667, -77.07959   (decimal degrees)
38°54'24" N, 77°04'47" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/319679/4308476 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Washington West
Inventory number
BH 50181 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 12, 2015: New photo from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
  • August 10, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
  • April 10, 2012: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added Photos
  • April 9, 2012: New Street View added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
  • November 13, 2011: Added by J.P.

Sources 

  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Flickr Photos - Photo of the bridge on flickr
  • Alexander D. Mitchell IV

Comments 

W&GF - Foundry Branch Bridge
Posted August 20, 2017, by Nathan Delaplaine (ndelaplaine [at] gmail [dot] com)

This old trolley trestle is planning for repairs of the former Glen Echo Streetcar line. Very old abandoned trolley tracks can cause the trolley trestle to collapse. For a rare reason, if you're not sure about this, a very old bicycle is stuck when the trolley stopped its operation.

Foundry Branch Bridge
Posted November 13, 2011, by J.P.

Bridge was added to most endangered list by the local historical group.