Eighth bridge at this location, derives its name from the third bridge, a chain suspension bridge. First bridge built by Timothy Palmer for Georgetown Bridge Co., wooden covered bridge opened 1797, rotted and collapsed 1804. Rebuilt by Georgetown Bridge Co. in kind, washed away by flood after six months. Third bridge opened 1810, chain suspension span 136' long, 15' wide designed by Judge James E. Finley of Uniontown, PA, swept away by flood 1812; fourth span damaged 1815 by floods; fifth span built 1840 and also destroyed by flooding. Sixth bridge wooden covered span of seven spans, Howe truss with arches, uncovered during Civil War to prevent arson, washed out 1870. Army engineers built iron truss replacement 1874, weakened by 1936 flood and replaced with current girder bridge.
- Girder bridge over Potomac River and Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
- Washington, Washington, District of Columbia, and Arlington County, Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1937; rehabilitated 1983
- - Modjeski, Masters & Chase of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Length of largest span: 171.9 ft.
Total length: 1,355.1 ft.
Deck width: 35.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.93000, -77.11500 (decimal degrees)
38°55'48" N, 77°06'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/316669/4311135 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Washington West
- Inventory numbers
- DC 1 (District of Columbia bridge number)
BH 52948 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 65.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
- March 1, 2013: Updated by Andy Peters: adds detail to overview and what the bridge crosses
- July 17, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Removed city name from builder
- July 17, 2012: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV