Capital Crescent Trail - Canal Road Overpass
Photo taken by M.V. Jantzen
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #235374
According to railroad historians and railroad blueprints, the Whipple span of this two-span bridge originally was built in 1885 at Ridley Creek, Ridley Park, Pa. (southwest of Philadelphia), and was relocated to this location in 1909 when it was replaced with a deck truss span.
- Whipple through truss and Pratt through truss bridge over Canal & Arizona Avenue on Capital Crescent Trail (formerly B&O Railroad)
- Georgetown, Washington, District of Columbia
- Open to pedestrians
- Originally built for the Baltimore & Ohio RR at Ridley Creek, Ridley Park, Pa. (southwest of Philadelphia); dismantled and rebuilt by the B&O at this location 1909, converted to trail use in 1992
- - Keystone Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Whipple span)
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O; BO)
- Whipple and Pratt through spans
Length of largest span: 223.0 ft.
Total length: 342.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.92476, -77.10733 (decimal degrees)
38°55'29" N, 77°06'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/317320/4310538 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Washington West
- Inventory numer
- BH 50184 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 19, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Name corrected; crosses Canal Road, not Arizona Avenue
- February 18, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Additional history and photo added
- April 6, 2013: New photos from Andy Peters
- August 10, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- July 17, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- November 13, 2011: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- November 13, 2011: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Andy Peters - anpete1971 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV