Arlington Memorial Bridge
HAER Animation Illustrates Arlington Memorial Bridge Bascule Span In Operation
- Bascule bridge with concrete arch approaches over Potomac River on Memorial Avenue
- Washington, District of Columbia
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Bascule span (ie the Nationally Significant Historic Span) to be demolished and replaced!)
PREVIOUS INFO: Proposed rehabilitation overhaul would cost about $250 million; repair contract has to be awarded by end of 2017 to get the job done by 2021. NPS is proposing $5 million in stopgap repairs.
- Built 1932; rehabilitated 1986
- - McKim, Mead & White of New York City, New York (architects)
- Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Steel deck arch bascule main span (double-leaf) with concrete closed spandrel arch approach spans. The 216-foot draw-span section has not been operated since Feb. 28, 1961, because other low bridges on the river prevented navigation by taller ships.
Length of largest span: 225.1 ft.
Total length: 2,128.1 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 60.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Memorial Avenue Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.88727, -77.05563 (decimal degrees)
38°53'14" N, 77°03'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/321709/4306274 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Washington West
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory number
- BH 12252 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 17 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 8, 2019: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Corrected inaccurate wording in design discription
- January 27, 2019: New photo from Josh Schmid
- December 4, 2017: Photo imported by Roger Deschner
- May 10, 2016: New photo from Nathan Holth
- May 4, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Nationally significant, unique bascule span to be DEMOLISHED AND REPLACED!!!!
- March 3, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Planned repairs, proposed rehabilitation, news article link, history notes added
- December 12, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 27, 2015: New video from Will Truax
- July 10, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- July 9, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- June 14, 2013: New photo from M. D. Caillet
- November 2, 2011: Photos imported by Nathan Holth
- May 4, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type.