Air Line State Park Trail - River Road Overpass
Bridge carried the Air Line Railroad over dirt lane. The brownstone arch spans about 22 feet and rises about 18 feet.
- Stone arch bridge over River Road on Airline State Park Trail S
- Colchester, New London County, Connecticut
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1887; abandoned 1965 by New Haven RR Portland-Columbia
- - Boston & New York Air-Line Railroad (B&NY)
- New Haven, Middletown & Willimantic Railroad (NHM&W)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
- Brownstone arch bridge; stone likely came from quarries in Portland CT, another town along the Airline route. Voussoir stones are chisel-marked with numbers; perhaps cut to size elsewhere?
Total length: 22.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 21, 1986
- Also called
- Airline State Park Trail Bridge
NH - River Road Overpass
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.58053, -72.42492 (decimal degrees)
41°34'50" N, 72°25'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/714665/4606406 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 86002727 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 60695 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 3, 2015: Photo imported by Ian Martin
- November 27, 2014: Updated by Ian Martin: Added NRHP info.
- June 9, 2014: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added some history and description
- April 18, 2014: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Rail-to-trail", "Airline Railroad"
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Ian Martin
- NRHP Listing