Gold Star Memorial Bridge
These photos were part of a HAER project to document the Northeast Corridor rail line, but just happened to capture the I-95 bridge in the background
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record as part of documentation of the Northeast Corridor
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #153664
Thames River Highway Bridge
Written by Calvin K Lunny
1939 Thames River Highway Toll Bridge was approved by the Connecticut General Assembly.
1941 Construction began in February 1941 by Harris Structural Steel Co.
1943 Bridge opens to public use on February 27, 1943
1951 Bridge renamed to Gold Star Memorial Bridge
- Pair of deck truss bridges over Thames River on I-95/US 1 in New London
- New London, New London County, Connecticut
- Open to traffic
- Built 1943; twin span built 1973
- - Harris Structural Steel Co. of South Plainfield, New Jersey
- Pair of 11-span Warren deck trusses
Length of largest span: 540.1 ft.
Total length: 5,931.4 ft. (1.1 mi.)
Deck width: 80.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.8 ft.
- Also called
- Thames River I-95 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.36386, -72.08742 (decimal degrees)
41°21'50" N, 72°05'15" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/743613/4583244 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New London
- Inventory numbers
- CT 3819 (Connecticut bridge number)
BH 12210 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 49.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- September 19, 2014: Essay added by Calvin K Lunny
- October 12, 2012: New photo from Jann Mayer
- March 23, 2012: Photos imported by James Baughn
- March 19, 2011: New Street View added by J.P.
- January 30, 2010: Added HAER photos
- HAER CT-11 - Northeast Railroad Corridor, Amtrak Route between New York/Connecticut & Connec, New Haven, New Haven County, CT
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jann Mayer - jannmayer [at] gmail [dot] com
- Calvin K Lunny - cklunny [at] gmail [dot] com