Rating:
No votes cast

Farmington Canal Eaton Brook Culvert

Photos 

Eaton Brook Culvert

Western arch of the Eaton Brook culvert; seen from the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail.

Photo taken by Ian Martin in January 2021

Enlarge

BH Photo #488463

Map 

Description 

Former stone arch culvert that carried the Farmington Canal over Eaton Brook in Hamden.

Built between 1825 and 1828 for the canal and repurposed for railroad use in 1848. Washed out in 1982 and never repaired; the railroad south of Cheshire was abandoned shortly thereafter. Replaced by a pair of pedestrian bridges when the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail was constructed in the 1990s. The western arch remains standing, but little else remains.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Stone arch bridge over Eaton Brook on NYNH&H Canal Line
Location
Hamden, New Haven County, Connecticut
Status
Washed out; western arch still standing
History
Built 1825
Railroads
- New Haven & Northampton Railroad (NH&N)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
Design
Stone arch
Also called
NH - Eaton Brook Culvert
NH Canal Line Bridge 9.60
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.42822, -72.90954   (decimal degrees)
41°25'42" N, 72°54'34" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/674673/4588404 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 91879 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 10, 2021: New photos from Ian Martin