Washington Bridge (Replacement)
Open for traffic
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in April 2013
BH Photo #283585
Bridge carrying US 1 over the Housatonic River consisting of five open-spandrel concrete arches and a double-leaf arched Pratt deck truss bascule span.
The bascule type is a fixed trunnion. It is NOT a Brown type bascule. According to the NRHP Nomination "In the Proceedings of the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers, Deputy State Highway Commissioner Richard L. Saunders described the bascule as a "Brown type." Although the bridge does not embody any of the specific bascule patents held by Thomas E. Brown, the mention of his name suggests that Waddell involved him in the design as a subconsultant." It is not known what (if any) involvement Brown had with this bridge, however again this is NOT the unusual "Brown" type bascule, and is the much more common fixed trunnion type of bascule, which was popularized in Chicago and sometimes called the Chicago type as a result.
- Bascule bridge over Housatonic River on US 1 in Milford
- Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut, and Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Open to traffic
- Built 1921; rehabilitated 1990
- - Bethlehem Steel Co. of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- J.A.L. Waddell of Port Hope, Canada (Design)
- T. Stuart & Sons of Watertown, Massachusetts (Contractor)
- - Connecticut Company (ConnCo)
- Connecticut Railway & Lighting Co. (CR&L)
- Pratt deck truss double-leaf fixed trunnion bascule with concrete open spandrel arch approach spans.
Length of largest span: 183.0 ft.
Total length: 877.0 ft.
Deck width: 48.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 2004
- Also called
- Devon Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.20040, -73.11071 (decimal degrees)
41°12'01" N, 73°06'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/658298/4564343 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- CT 327 (Connecticut bridge number)
NRHP 04001093 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 12182 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 53.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 24, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 20, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added contractor, tried to eliminate confusion and provide claarity in the description.
- August 20, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added categories "J.A.L. Waddell", "Streetcar", "Railroad", "Rail-and-Road"
- June 14, 2015: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- November 27, 2014: Updated by Ian Martin: Added NRHP info. and corrected design information
- May 15, 2014: New photos from Douglas Butler
- October 7, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.