Rating:
No votes cast

NH - Mine Brook Arch

Photos 

MineBrook 01

Photo taken by Chester Gehman in November 2016

Enlarge

BH Photo #369167

Map 

Description 

Stone arch/culvert carrying Mine Brook under the Air Line in the Cobalt section of East Hampton. The railbed was abandoned in 1965 and will eventually be converted into the Airline State Park Trail.

Facts 

Overview
Abandoned stone arch bridge over Mine Brook on NYNH&H Air Line (abandoned)
Location
East Hampton, Middlesex County, Connecticut
Status
Derelict/abandoned
Future prospects
To become part of the Airline State Park Trail
History
Abandoned 1965
Railroads
- Boston & New York Air-Line Railroad (B&NY)
- New Haven, Middletown & Willimantic Railroad (NHM&W)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
Design
Stone arch
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.56530, -72.54790   (decimal degrees)
41°33'55" N, 72°32'52" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/704460/4604417 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Middle Haddam
Inventory number
BH 67261 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 5, 2016: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • April 26, 2015: Added by Ian Martin

Sources 

  • Ian Martin
  • Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Comments 

NH - Mine Brook Arch
Posted September 7, 2020, by Charles Dunn (NHTowerTalk [at] hotmail [dot] com)

The Mine Brook arch was built in 1898 when the New York, New Haven and Hartford railroad decided to fill in the wrought iron Cobalt Viaduct, originally built in 1873. The arch had to be built to allow Mine Brook to pass under the filled in viaduct. The project took most of 1898 to complete. The Cobalt Viaduct was the first, and smallest, of three iron viaducts on the Airline to be filled in. The much larger Rapallo and Lyman viaducts, a few miles further east, would be filled in in 1912/1913. Like the Rapallo and Lyman viaducts, the Cobalt Viaduct is still there, buried under tons of sand and cinders.