Air Line State Park Trail - Middle Haddam Road Stone Arch
CT 45S 1
South face consisting of granite blocks.
Photo taken by Chester Gehman in February 2014
BH Photo #468340
New Haven Railroad Bridge Number 437, a stone arch bridge over Middle Haddam Road at milepost 28.18 of the former Air Line. The newer segment of road that is now CT Routes 17 and 66 replaced this segment of Middle Haddam Road of being a major route. An interesting feature of this bridge is that while the faces, southern wingwalls, and inside of the arch are constructed in granite, the northern wingwalls are built in brownstone. It is unknown if this is original or the result of a later modification.
Opened for use as park of the Air Line State Park Trail Portland section in 2018
- March 21, 2020: New photos from Chester Gehman
- December 21, 2018: Updated by Ian Martin: Updated to reflect trail use
- April 26, 2015: Updated by Ian Martin: Added build year & note about different stone types
- April 11, 2015: Updated by Erich Pfistner: Added a description.
- July 24, 2014: New Street View added by Ian Martin
- Ian Martin
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com