Bridge is located in the Pine Meadow section of New Hartford. It replaced a covered bridge at this location that was destroyed on March 18, 1936 when the Greenwoods Dam upstream gave way, the first event in the famous flood of 1936. The old covered bridge was called the "Black Bridge" because of its dark color.
- Lost two-span pony truss bridge over West Branch Farmington River on Black Bridge Road
- New Hartford, Litchfield County, Connecticut
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1936 by the Berlin Construction Co.; rehabilitated 1974; replaced 1999
- - Berlin Construction Co. of Berlin, Connecticut
- Two riveted Warren pony trusses
Length of largest span: 84.0 ft.
Total length: 174.9 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.87812, -72.96457 (decimal degrees)
41°52'41" N, 72°57'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/668894/4638246 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- CT 4434 (Connecticut bridge number)
BH 43226 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/1990)
- Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 14.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1979)
- May 24, 2017: New photos from Chester Gehman
- June 7, 2014: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added some history & photos.
- August 15, 2009: Added by James Baughn
- HAER CT-156 - Black Bridge, Spanning Farmington River at Black Bridge Road , New Hartford, Litchfield County, CT
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com