Rating:
No votes cast

Black Bridge (1874)

Photos 

Black Bridge 1

Photo submitted by Chester Gehman

Enlarge

BH Photo #464863

Map 

Description 

Built in 1873 or 1874, it was called the Black Bridge because of its color,and lasted until the morning of March 18,1936. At 7:50 AM that morning, an ice jam and floodwaters caused the Greenwoods Dam upriver to fail. The rush of water washed the bridge off its abutments, damaging it beyond repair. A new iron bridge was opened that October.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over West Branch, Farmington River on Black Bridge Road
Location
New Hartford, Litchfield County, Connecticut
Status
Destroyed by flooding
History
Built 1874
Design
Howe through truss
Dimensions
Total length: 172.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.87806, -72.96473   (decimal degrees)
41°52'41" N, 72°57'53" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/668881/4638240 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 87759 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 13, 2020: New photos from Chester Gehman

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com