Farmington Canal Heritage Trail - Nod Brook Culvert
Nod Brook Railroad Culvert
East elevation, taken from the Nod Brook Wildlife Management Area
Photo taken by Ian Martin in December 2020
BH Photo #486629
From the Connecticut Historic Bridges Inventory:
"The bridge takes the form of a semi-circular arch ten feet in length and five feet high at the crown. The ring stones (including the entire length of the barrel) are carefully cut quarry-faced brownstone blocks, with spandrels and short wing walls constructed out of similar ashlar masonry."
The inventory form gives a build year of 1849 (same as the railroad). However, this arch is similar in design and is immediately adjacent to Rosewood Road arch (http://bridgehunter.com/ct/hartford/bh68098/), whose inventory form indicates a build year of 1878 to replace a trestle north of Avon. It seems more likely that both arches were constructed at the same time, along with the high embankment above.
- December 6, 2020: New photo from Ian Martin