NH - Salmon Brook Arch
Originally built for the Farmington Canal as the third attempt at a crossing of Salmon Brook, the first two being lost to floods. Use carried over to the New Haven & Northampton (and later the NYNH&H) when the railroad was built over the canal in 1848. Aerial imagery shows replacement between 1934 and 1944, which based on its predecessors' demise would likely be attributable to the 1936 flood or the 1938 hurricane. Although it is likely that the current rail-trail bridge was the first replacement, it's possible that the ca. 1938 replacement was itself destroyed in the 1955 floods.
- Lost Stone arch bridge over Salmon Brook on New Haven Railroad
- East Granby, Hartford County, Connecticut
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1829; replaced between 1934 and 1944
- - New Haven & Northampton Railroad (NH&N)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
- Stone arch
Span length: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 40.0 ft.
- Also called
- Farmington Canal - Salmon Brook Arch
Salmon Brook Aqueduct
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.93720, -72.77582 (decimal degrees)
41°56'14" N, 72°46'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/684387/4645195 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 65271 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 4, 2015: Added by Ian Martin