Rating:
No votes cast

Farmington River Trail - Farmington River Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Claire

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND)

Enlarge

View this photo on Flickr

BH Photo #284706

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Former NH&N New Hartford Branch that was abandoned by the NYNH&H in 1965. While in use, the structure consisted of a northern approach of girder and stringer spans over the Collins Co. mill yard, a double-intersection Warren through truss over the Farmington River, and two arch spans. Following abandonment, the girder spans over the mill yard were removed and Arch Street was rerouted to pass behind the south abutment. The northern approaches were replaced by mail-order pedestrian bridges and a wooden ramp was constructed from the south abutment down to Arch Street when the Farmington River Trail was constructed in the early 2000s.

Facts 

Overview
Double-intersection Warren through truss bridge over Farmington River & Millrace on Farmington River Trail
Location
Collinsville, Hartford County, Connecticut
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1904, abandoned 1965
Railroads
- New Haven & Northampton Railroad (NH&N)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
- Rail-to-trail
Design
Double-intersection Warren through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 175.0 ft.
Also called
NH - Farmington River Bridge (S)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.80792, -72.92274   (decimal degrees)
41°48'29" N, 72°55'22" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/672554/4630536 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Collinsville
Inventory numbers
CT 09913R (Connecticut bridge number)
BH 61181 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 3, 2015: Photo imported by Ian Martin
  • August 19, 2014: Updated by Ian Martin: Added details
  • June 2, 2014: Added by Luke Harden

Related Bridges 

Sources