East Washington Avenue Bridge
The history of the East Washington Avenue Bridge is consequential in two areas. As a bridge it represents an early phase in the evolution of Strauss Bascule Bridge Company designs and embodies two of Joseph Strauss' major patents. It has transitional aspects, electrically operated but possessing a complete, manually operated mechanical backup system and a manually operated auxiliary brake. Secondarily, the bridge site and surrounding neighborhood were the location of industries that developed and expanded the innovative production technology known as the "American System of Manufacturing." The bridge served a dynamic historic industrial neighborhood in an era when United States firms rose to a dominant position in world markets.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Bascule bridge over Pequonnock River on East Washington Avenue in Bridgeport
- Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Open to traffic
- Built 1916; rehabilitated 1998
- - Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Bascule Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 90.9 ft.
Total length: 229.0 ft.
Deck width: 44.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.18605, -73.18863 (decimal degrees)
41°11'10" N, 73°11'19" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/651913/4560991 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- CT 4252 (Connecticut bridge number)
BH 12050 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 91.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 30, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- April 17, 2014: HAER photos posted by James Baughn
- October 7, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER CT-154 - East Washington Avenue Bridge, Spanning Pequonnock River at East Washington Avenue, Bridgeport, Fairfield County, CT
- Douglas Butler